We can’t totally come up with the words to say how this trip was. Perfect? Complete bliss? Is that too much? Maybe it is, but that also feels right. 3 weeks in one city, one apartment, and an endless amount of beauty, magic, delicious food, and insanely good wine. Chris and I choose Paris for a few reasons, but the biggest one came down to experiencing the food and wine that we love so much, in the place it comes from. Another reason, quite honestly, were these videos. I’ve never seen someone so completely in love with the things they are eating. And I can tell you, we got to experience some of it, and it changes you. Not to mention, the history, art, culture, all swept us away on a beautiful wonderful ride. We can’t wait to go back. But this was just the start of, hopefully, many more travels. I underestimated how much this trip would influence how we saw the world, how much it would make us want to be better, have more compassion for our neighbors. We are so so grateful for the ability to do this, to travel and take time off from work, is a huge gift and one that we don’t want to take for granted. These are just a few images from our digital camera. We’ll definitely be sharing more film after we get all 21 rolls developed :)
Some noteworthy places seen above: La Buvette, Septime Cave, Septime, Les Arlots, Chez La Vieille, La Verre Volé, Le Petit Grain, Le Petit Vendome, Jones, Monet’s Garden, Frenchie, Dame Jane, YARD, Henri Cartier-Bresson Foundation, Museé d’Orsay, Luxembourg Gardens, Rodin Museum.
Wingate Plantation | June 2019
Anna and Drew celebrated their marriage with friends and family in the sweet smelling summer. June might be my favorite month (it’s my birthday month!) and it always holds the fullest excitement of summertime. Not too late that you’re anticipating the busy time that always follows summer, and not too early that you’re still figuring out what to do with yourself. Being out at Wingate Plantation for this wedding was so special. It’s the kind of place that feels like the song Wide Open Spaces by the Dixie Chicks.. Be still my heart!!
Here’s where I get a little sentimental. Just let me, okay.
My favorite things about weddings are these things…
1. There’s always a surprise. I’ve been documenting weddings since 2012, and every time two people come together in matrimony, something catches me totally off guard. I mean this in the best way.
It’s always something so tender that I’m either in tears or close to it. Like the time a bride’s little sister, who hadn’t spoken a word all day, stood before the crowd during dinner and made the most beautiful speech to the new couple. Or when a couple’s first dance song is Chris and my dinner dancing song, and I’m thinking “How are we the SAME?!”. Or when a father of the groom, who has been distant and moody, comes over to his son after the ceremony and they both just cry together. People will always surprise you, and it’s a truly amazing thing to witness.
2. It’s been said before, but again, it’s the “jackpot” of documentary photography. Love, kisses, tears, laughter, rain, shine, dancing, fun. It’s all there, and as photographers, we get to bottle it up and show it off.
3. THERE’S DANCING. I love to dance. Being in a position where my job lets me dance and have fun is so crazy ridiculous to me. I freakin’ love it.
4. There’s usually kids around, and they are pretty funny to watch during a wedding. A ring bearer picking his nose. A flower girl meltdown. It’s all fun, and it’s also a hoot to photograph.
5. Marriage rocks. It’s badass. I love it. Sharing life with someone you deeply love is the best thing I’ve ever done, and it gets me so pumped when I get witness two other people doing the same thing!
Note: If you haven’t noticed - my favorite things have nothing to do with the flowers (although they are great), or the location, the dress, the traditions, the best thing about a wedding - by far - is the fact that it’s about you two, your love, and people celebrating that love with you. However you do it, however many people, whatever your love looks like.
“If you can give yourself to someone, then you should”. - Dawes, A Little Bit of Everything
Anna and Cameron’s Folly Beach engagement session. The creamiest golden light arrives in late summer. And we were right there to welcome it. Late July, you have won my heart. Like you always do. ❤️
To schedule an engagement session, or if you just want some sweet photos of you and your favorite person, contact for availability and pricing